15 Best Multivitamin For Women Over 50
Taking some of the best multivitamins for women over 50 has innumerable advantages. They can promote healthy aging, good nerve health, and keeping your body in good working order. Consult your doctor about taking multivitamins if you’re tired, feeling down, worried about your immune system, or anything in between. Liftyolife (liftyolife.com) suggests 15 products to consider in this article.
1. What do 50+ women need in a multivitamin?
Specific vitamins and minerals will need to be increased (or decreased) as women age to maintain good health. Most healthy adults should get all of their vitamins and minerals from food. However, as you get older, your ability to absorb these nutrients decreases significantly, so you may not get the most out of the vitamins and minerals in food. That’s why multivitamins are a more easily absorbed form of the nutrient, and these can be a good choice at this age.
People need more calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D3 when aging, especially women over 50.
Moreover, bones become more delicate proportional to people’s age due to a natural decrease in bone density. Including calcium and vitamin D3 multivitamins in your diet can help strengthen them, lowering your chances of fractures, breaks, and developing osteoporosis.
2. What are women over 50 looking for in a multivitamin?
2.1. Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 deficiency is a common problem among people at any age, especially in people over 50, due to the absorption of this substance being also severely limited. B vitamins, particularly B12, are essential for energy and neurological function. Because the absorption nutrient decreases with age, look for at least 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B12 in your multivitamin as a recommended intake dosage. (1)
2.2. Calcium and vitamin D
As information mentioned above, the structure of bones is more delicate with age, so calcium and vitamin D supplements are essential for stronger bones. Your doctor may have specific recommendations for calcium supplementation; however, if a multivitamin will suffice, make sure it contains at least 1200 milligrams of calcium. Vitamin D and calcium work in tandem. Make sure your multivitamin contains at least 600 IU of vitamin D, preferably in the form of vitamin D3.
2.3. What to leave out
Is it necessary for women over the age of 50 to supplement all vitamins and minerals? No, a few substances should be avoided or reduced when a woman reaches this age. Menopause begins between 45 and 55 years of age in women. Women’s iron requirements decrease as they approach menopause. Many multivitamins for women over 55 do not include iron for this reason, but always consult your doctor to ensure that your multivitamin meets your specific needs.
2.4. Additional ingredients
Not all supplements are advantageous to your health. Always read the ingredient list of the multivitamin you’re about to buy carefully to see if the combination of those ingredients with the food or medicine you’re taking could cause any side effects or not. Sometimes you have another disease, and there are recommendations to avoid. In short, consult your doctor; they will advise you on which multivitamin is appropriate and beneficial for your current health situation.
3. What are considered before choosing a multivitamin for women over 50?
Before buying a multivitamin, listen to your body and determine what it requires. Because multivitamins are a supplement containing many substances that the body requires, but not all of them your body needs. Determine your own needs first to avoid absorbing too much of one substance while deficient in another. Or, even if a supplement contains a sufficient amount of a nutrient, you may require more to meet your overall requirements.
Some illustrative examples are:
- Women over 50 are more likely to be vitamin B6, B12, and D deficient.
- Some supplements do not provide 100% of the recommended vitamin D intake for women over 50, 600 IU for women aged 50–69 and 800 IU for women aged 70 and up. (2)
- Women with low vitamin D levels or vitamin D deficiency may require much higher doses to achieve and maintain optimal levels.
- Women who are vitamin B12 deficient may require high-dose vitamin B12 injections to achieve optimal levels. (3)
Before taking high-dose calcium supplements, it’s best to consult with a doctor. Consume calcium-rich foods such as sardines, low-fat yogurt, nuts, cheese, and dark leafy greens to meet your calcium requirements.
When shopping for a supplement, always choose high-quality products from well-known brands, such as those mentioned below.
Getting enough physical activity, following a balanced, nutrient-dense diet, managing underlying health conditions, reducing stress, and getting plenty of rest are all critical for your overall health and well-being.
4. 15 best multivitamin for women over 50
4.1. Care/Of multivitamin — The Foundation
The Care/Of multivitamin – The Foundation is the best multivitamin for women over the age of 50 for filling common nutrient gaps. While this iron-free supplement isn’t designed specifically for women, it’s still a good option for those who want to fill nutrient gaps in their diet. Check out the other options listed below to help you choose the best one.
- Ingredients: This pack includes calcium plus (vitamin B & K2), probiotic blend (Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis), methylfolate, choline, and vitamin C.
- Supplement essential vitamins and minerals to fill real diet gaps for women.
- Care/Of Multivitamin not only focuses on nutrients that are commonly lacking in modern diets, but it also selects nutrients that are easily digestible and absorbable, such as methylated B vitamins and chelated minerals.
- It contains nutrients that women over the age of 50 are more likely to lack, such as 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 and 2.4 mcg of vitamin B12.
- Care/of Multivitamin is vegetarian, non-GMO, gluten-free, and allergen-free.
- It contains methylfolate and choline, which are essential for women’s health.
- Nutrients and dosages are based on the most recent research.
- It is formulated with tried-and-true ingredients.
4.2. Designs For Health Complete Multi
- Ingredients: It is iron-free and high in nutrients that benefit women’s health, such as selenium, magnesium, folate, and vitamins B6, B12, and D. More than that, it also boasts trimethylglycine (betaine).
- Highlights: This multivitamin has trimethylglycine (betaine), a molecule that helps reduce homocysteine. When homocysteine levels in your body become too high, it may increase your risk of heart disease.
- It also contains supportive nutrients not typically found in multivitamins, such as delta and gamma tocotrienols, TMG, and fruit bioflavonoids.
- This product is always pure and effective because it is non-GMO and contains no gluten, dairy, or soy. Eco-friendly, tinted glass bottles provide a better moisture barrier against moisture and oxygen, thereby preserving nutrient viability.
4.3. Garden Of Life Mykind Organics Women’s 40+
- Ingredients: A vegan multivitamin contains 16 vitamins and minerals with a 100% DV or higher, including folate, magnesium, and vitamins B6, B12, and D3.
- Highlights: This women’s multivitamin is specially formulated from nutritious and organic whole foods.
- It also contains black cohosh, a herb that has shown promise in reducing menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes when taken as a supplement.
- Garden of Life is organically certified, gluten-free, kosher, and vegan.
4.4. MegaFood Multi For Women 55+
- Ingredients: vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin C, vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin b6, folate, vitamin B12, biotin, pantothenic acid, choline, iodine, zinc, selenium, copper, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, green tea leaf extract.
- It is iron-free and contains absorbable forms of methylated folate, vitamins B12 and D, and other vitamins and minerals. In other words, it includes 1000 IU of vitamin D to support already healthy bones and B vitamins, such as methylated folate and B12, to help support cellular energy (does not contain iron).
- This supplement also contains 250 mg of green tea extract, which has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and may aid in healthy aging.
- Non-GMO project verified tested for over 125 herbicides and pesticides, gluten, dairy, and soy-free.
4.5. Nature’s Way Alive! Once Daily
- There are 19 vitamins and minerals, with a daily value of 12 vitamins and minerals.
- B-Vitamins: Contains active B12 (methylcobalamin) and folate (L-Methylfolate).
- Blend orchard fruits, garden vegetables, and daily greens powder (80 mg per serving).
- Greens, mushroom mycelial and primordial biomass, enzymes, bioflavonoids, inositol, rutin, and lutein are included.
- Support your total body wellness after the age of 50 to age vibrantly.
- Support the ten key signs of aging, including eye health, bone health, muscle function, and brain health.
- Premium B-vitamins include folate, B12, and riboflavin. Antioxidant support is provided by high potency vitamins C and E and selenium.
- It is made with at least 100% of the daily value of 19 vitamins and minerals and at least 200% of 12 vitamins and minerals.
- Gluten-free. There are no artificial colors.
4.6. One A Day 50+ Healthy Advantage
- Ingredients: Vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, folic acid.
- It is designed specifically for women over the age of 50.
- Ingredients that help with memory and bone strength are included.
- This multivitamin contains all of the ingredients mature women require to maintain optimal health, including ginkgo biloba for memory, vitamin D3 for strong bones, and other key nutrients and antioxidants to ensure joint, heart, breast, and eye health.
- Antioxidant-rich formulation.
4.7. Persona Women’s Foundational Multivitamin
- Ingredients: It contains 19 vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, C, D, B6, and B12; folate; iron; and the omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA.
- This multivitamin contains biologically active nutrients, such as methylated vitamin B12, that are more accessible for your body to absorb.
- It contains an expertly balanced blend of premium natural supplements that have been clinically shown to promote increased energy, improved mood, luscious hair, skin, nails, and a clearer mind.
- Every supplement in your daily pack is sourced from nature, made with high-quality ingredients, and thoroughly tested and re-tested for purity. Better results come from using pure ingredients.
4.8. Pure Encapsulations Longevity Nutrients
- Ingredients: This iron-free supplement contains magnesium, folate, vitamins B6, B12, and D, lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin, green tea extract, curcumin, red wine concentrate, ginkgo biloba, and among other nutrients.
- This multivitamin includes compounds that help your heart, eyes, and brain.
- The company’s products are vegetarian, gluten-free, and free of genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- It has superior mineral chelates and activated vitamins for maximum absorption.
- Vitamin C, beta carotene, vitamin E, lycopene, zeaxanthin, lutein, and alpha-lipoic acid are naturally derived antioxidants.
- This supplement contains vitamins K1 and K2 and 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 For optimal bone and heart health.
- Grape seed extract, polyphenols from pomegranate, and red wine concentrate help maintain healthy blood vessel function.
4.9. Rainbow Light 50+ Mini-tablet
- Ingredients: This innovative formula contains 20 vitamins and minerals, promotes bone, brain, and immune health, and includes an enzyme and probiotic blend.
- Rainbow Light provides natural energy.
- This easy-to-swallow mini pill is an excellent addition to anyone’s morning routine, with a vitality blend filled with vegetable concentrates for natural energy, a probiotic blend to promote healthy digestion, and Vitamin D3 for calcium absorption.
- It is also a high-potency multivitamin for women aged 50+.
- Support in the health of the immune system, bones, eyes, and brain.
- Nourish vitamins help with nutrition and energy.
- Antioxidants for free radical support include vitamins A, C, and E and the mineral selenium.
4.10. Ritual Essential For Women Multivitamin 50+
- Ingredients: 8 traceable ingredients: folate, omega-3 DHA, vitamin B12, D, K2, E, boron, magnesium.
- Boron is essential for bone metabolism and may help improve bone health in women over 50, who are at a higher risk of osteoporosis.
- Ritual Essential for women multivitamin 50+ is a vegan supplement that gets its DHA from microalgae and vitamin D3 from lichen.
- Vegan-certified Vitamin D3 derived from lichen promotes normal immune function.
- Microalgae-derived omega-3 DHA promotes heart health.
- Calcium-assist nutrients D3, K2, Magnesium, and Boron support bone health.
- This multivitamin is available in a delayed-release capsule and is free of gluten, major allergens, GMOs, artificial colorings, and synthetic fillers.
4.11. Seeking Health Optimal Multivitamin
- Ingredients: It is a complete daily multivitamin and mineral supplement with over 50 nutritional ingredients in a remarkable base of green superfoods and a fruit and vegetable blend.
- Each ingredient in this multivitamin is chosen with absorption, competition with other nutrients, allergenic potential, and long-term safety in mind.
- It contains absorbable forms of vitamin B12, folate, magnesium, and a trace of calcium, as well as a concentrated dose of vitamin B6, which many older women may be deficient in.
- Certain nutrients, such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, and a well-rounded B vitamin complex, are included in high-potency amounts due to the essential roles they play in supporting the body’s antioxidant defenses, energy production, blood cell maintenance, nervous system health, healthy endocrine function, and more.
4.12. SmartyPants Masters Complete Women 50+ Gummy
- Ingredients: A multivitamin gummy supplement contains high-quality beta carotene, vitamin B6, vitamin K2, and choline. It also traces the essential omega-3 fatty acids docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), lutein eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), and zeaxanthin.
- Non-GMO. Milk, peanuts, eggs, soy, fish allergens, shellfish, gluten, tree nut allergens, and wheat are not present. There are no artificial colors and sweeteners/flavors. There’s no need for refrigeration.
- 17 essential nutrients for bone health, CoQ10 for heart health, vitamin D3 for immunity, and vitamin B12 for energy metabolism
- Take four (4) gummies daily for women over 50. It is safe to take with or without food.
4.13. Super Nutrition SimplyOne 50+ Women
- Ingredients: Silicon dioxide, stearic acid (vegetable source), Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), vegetarian coating, soy-derived vitamin E.
- Highlights: Each tablet provides your core cellular nutrition and additional benefits such as increased all-day energy, extra calcium, support for healthy hearts, and enhanced immune defenses.
- SimplyOne is intended to reduce cellular stress and provide you with extra energy.
- Furthermore, it is gentle on the stomach and contains no artificial additives.
4.14. Thorne Women’s Multi 50+
- Ingredients: Six capsules contain: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, biotin, choline, calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc.
- Highlights: This iron-free supplement contains highly absorbable forms of essential nutrients for women.
- Designed with easily absorbable nutrients and formulated for people at low risk of iron deficiency, such as men and postmenopausal women.
- It also contains lutein, a carotenoid antioxidant that promotes brain and eye health.
- Vitamin A is beneficial to eye health, skin health, and immune function.
- Vitamin D helps to maintain strong bones and a healthy immune system.
- Zinc bis-glycinate, a highly absorbable form of zinc, benefits immune function and skin health.
4.15. Vitanica Senior Symmetry
- Ingredients: Provitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D2, vitamin E, thiamin, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, biotin, calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc.
- Highlights: This multivitamin was created with older women in mind, as it is hypoallergenic and free of preservatives.
- Calcium and D2 for bone health, Co-Q-10 for memory, plant-based digestive enzymes for smoother digestion, and other nutrients were chosen to help you in your daily life.
- Vitamin C that has been buffered is gentler on the stomach. Calcium citrate/malate forms improve calcium absorption as we age.
- Plant-based digestive enzymes support digestion and absorption of dietary constituents and additional nutrients.
Hopefully, by reading the entire article about the best multivitamin for women over 50 years old, you can understand the importance of vitamins and minerals for the body, especially the elderly. Simultaneously, Liftyolife (liftyolife.com) hopes that you will find the best product for you so that your health can be improved and enhanced. Furthermore, it can be stated that combining both methods of using supplementations and living healthy will undoubtedly improve your health, allowing you to be healthier every day.
==> Read More: