How To Improve Short Term Memory Before Late
It’s natural to forget things as we get older, mainly decline in short-term memory. But it is not untreatable. So, how to improve short term memory? Liftyolife (liftyolife.com) recommend seven ways to follow to prevent this type of memory loss from affecting your daily life in this article.
1. What is short-term memory loss?
Short-term memory loss, also known as amnesia, is a memory disorder that many people experience in everyday life. However, this type of memory loss can signify a more severe problem, such as dementia, a mental health problem, or brain injury.
2. Signs of short-term memory loss
Forgetting something you just did, can’t find what you just put down, can’t remember the name of a customer you just met yesterday, and so on are the common signs.
3. Causes of short-term memory impairment
Short-term memory loss is associated with aging. It includes forgetfulness and decreased concentration. Although memory typically declines with age, some older adults in their 70s – 80s have better short-term memory than many people in their 20s – 30s.
3.2. Alcohol and drug abuse
Prolonged high alcohol intake and heavy cigarette smoking can lead to short-term memory impairment. Tobacco use can limit the amount of oxygen that reaches the brain. Lack of oxygen can damage brain cells. Similarly, overuse of alcohol will change brain chemistry and cause memory loss.
3.3. Medication use
Certain medications can affect memory, such as anti-anxiety drugs, antihistamines, sleeping pills, pain relievers, antidepressants, diabetes, and cholesterol-lowering medications. Metformin, which is a prescription medication used to treat type 2 diabetes, can lead to memory problems.
Stress can cause short-term memory loss. Prolonged untreated stress can lead to depression, which can affect brain function.
3.5. Other causes
Other causes that may lead to short-term memory impairment are:
- Stroke: A stroke can damage blood vessels in the brain and seriously affect your ability to remember or think. In fact, short-term memory loss is the warning sign of stroke.
- Inadequate sleep
- Head injury
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease or Lewy body dementia
- Infections in or around your brain
- Brain tumors
4. How to improve short term memory?
There are many ways that people with some forgetfulness can use to stay healthy and improve their memory. Here are some tips about how to improve short term memory:
4.1. Identify the main cause of memory disorders
Knowing the cause of short-term memory loss will help determine the best treatment option. If short-term memory loss is caused by using drugs, please change the type of drugs or dosage adjustment. Similarly, vitamin B12 may help if the main cause of short-term memory loss is vitamin B12 Deficiency.
4.2. Regular exercise
Exercise improves blood supply to the brain, slows aging organs, especially the senses. It helps us to absorb information faster and keep it longer. Thirty minutes of daily exercise also helps fight stress and diseases that cause memory loss.
4.3. Brain training
Exercising will make the body healthy, brain training will make the memory sharp. Learning something new is an excellent way to enhance your memory:
- Play an instrument or learn foreign languages
- Volunteer for social work
- Read books, news every day
- Find your new hobbies such as cycling, painting, planting, etc.
4.4. Follow a healthy diet
Diet rich in fruits and vegetables helps to improve your memory as these types of food rich in antioxidants will protect brain cells. Especially you should limit fat and avoid eating late at night.
4.5. Stop smoking and drinking alcohol
If you continue to smoke and drink alcohol, you will get a higher chance of memory impairment. In addition, the risk of getting Alzheimer’s in smokers is about twice that of non-smokers. Stop using these things before it’s too late.
4.6. Organize your life
Some essential habits in organizing life may help you to focus and memorize better. Here are some practices that you can follow:
- Create a to-do list: get something that you have to do down on paper.
- Put your items, such as keys, glasses, and so on, in their proper place at home.
- Using the reminder apps or weekly appointment book & planner will make it easy to control your work.
4.7. Last tips about how to improve short term memory: Treatment
Treatment for people with some forgetfulness is based on the underlying causes. Some treatments that might help are:
- Brain tumors: surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation.
- Thyroid diseases, depression, and medication side effects: consult with your doctor to diagnose and give valuable pieces of advice.
- Nutrition supplement
- Switching medications
- Another dietary supplement such as Longevity Activator.
Please remember: There is no cure for short-term memory loss caused by dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease or Lewy body dementia. In case you have the following warning signs, contact your doctor as soon as possible. These signs show that you might have Alzheimer’s disease:
- Challenge in planning or solving the problems.
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relations.
- Have problems with words in speaking or writing.
- Confusion with time or place.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work, or at leisure.
Short-term memory loss is a normal part when we get older and doesn’t affect a lot in our life. However, it might be a sign of serious problems such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, and so on. Notice the warning symptoms and know how to improve short term memory to have the best treatment for it. Follow some tips that Liftyolife (liftyolife.com) recommend to improve.
==> Read More: